Oerol Festival, Netherlands (13 – 23 June 2014)
Oerol apparently means ‘all over’ in the Terschelling dialect, and this festival does in fact takes place ‘all over’ this West Frisian Island .
For 10 days a year the whole island becomes host to music, theater and art .
Accommodation and camping facilities can be found in the many villages around the island along with cafes and restaurants serving typical dutch cuisine.
A visits to one of these cafes introduced me to “Mosterdsoep” a deliciously creamy mustard soup .
This is my simplified or I suppose some might say Anglicized version of “Mosterdsoep” :
De uitkomst zal het leren!
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp smooth mustard
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 litre chicken or veg stock
- 1/2 cup cream or creme fraiche
- Salt to taste
- crispy bacon,leeks, chives or cress for the topping.
- Sautee the onion in the butter.
- Add the mustard and seeds.
- Add the flour and then slowly stir in the stock .
- Allow to cook for about 5 minutes before adding the cream.
- Season and add the topping of your choice.
(all photos by Limetime)